Tuesday, January 27, 2009

ATR Crash




The news is pretty clear that FedEx is stating weather was not a factor. Look at the bottom line of the current weather when they shot the approach..... The first line is the actual weather then I translated it for ease of reading.

METAR text: KLBB 270953Z 01014KT 3SM FZDZ BR OVC005 M08/M09 A3013 RMK AO2 PRESRR SLP227 P0000 T10781094

Conditions at: KLBB (LUBBOCK, TX, US) observed 0953 UTC 27 January 2009
Temperature: -7.8°C (18°F)
Dewpoint: -9.4°C (15°F) [RH = 88%]
Pressure (altimeter): 30.13 inches Hg (1020.4 mb)
[Sea-level pressure: 1022.7 mb]
Winds: from the N (10 degrees) at 16 MPH (14 knots; 7.3 m/s)
Visibility: 3 miles (5 km)
Ceiling: 500 feet AGL
Clouds: overcast cloud deck at 500 feet AGL
Weather: FZDZ BR (freezing drizzle, mist)

Freezing drizzle and mist is NOT to be played with. And I'm sure they will keep stating that Ice was not a factor, disregarding the ATR's already proven track record in ice. I learned that lesson as well. However I was lucky and I was flying the F27. A known Icing truck vs the ATR. A sports car in comparison.

I feel very lucky. This aircraft was flying my run out of Midland and the Captain flying was the Captain that bumped me out of SLC a few months ago. Luckily for me he took that base from me. Otherwise it would have been me in that airplane.

Good news for the crew is the Captain should be released from the hospital today and the F/O sustained a few breaks but will be OK. If you look at the top of the cockpit on one of the pictures you will see where to escape hatch is. That's the exit. Out the top and dropped 10 feet to the ice below. Not fun.

Clayton

3 comments:

Mike and Becky said...

the 10 escape drop would be rough if you have broken bones. Glad you are at the SIMS this week.mike

Texas Welch's said...

My husband had dodged the bullet on many occasions. He loves being a pilot and I support him in every way even though it is tough some time. We love him so much and are proud of all the hard work and dedication he puts into being a successful pilot!! The horizon is in reach.

Texas Welch's said...

"Dodged the Bullet" huh?

I like the phase "Skillfully averted with class" a little more. I will however admit this time it was just luck that it was not me faced with what these pilots had to deal with.

Clayton